Monday, September 22, 2014

Heidelberg: Welcome to my life in a fairy tale

Heidelberg.
Population: 150,000
Prevalence of students: 1 in 6
Annual tourist count: 3 million
Annual liters of wine consumed each year: You don’t even wanna know.

Welcome to fairy tale land, i.e. my residence for the next four months. With cobble stone streets and ivy draped over nearly every building, it's pretty much a scene out of a Grim Brother's fairy tale. There are multiple Rapunzel-worthy towers scattered though out the city, and up the hill a little ways there's a thickly-wooded forest, where if I only had a red hood, I could easily play the protagonist. Did I mention there’s a giant castle looming on the hill? I rest my case.










So here I am, nearly three weeks into my program and finally writing about where the heck I am. The American Junior Year Program at the University of Heidelberg consists of about 35 Americans from all over the States, including 5 other students from my home-base, the University of Denver. I'm living in a flat shared with three others, though they haven't all come back from the summer holidays yet.

A few highlights from my first few weeks here:

Das Heidelburger Schloss (The Castle of Heidelberg)

The first of all Heidelberg tourist obligations, we visited the Castle as a class during our first week in the city. 

Die Schlossbeleuchtung (Castle Illumination)

On the first weekend here we got to experience one of the coolest celebrations in the city, a "burning" of the castle and fireworks to follow, for which the city was packed with tourists.



Philosophenweg

Visit from the Fritzsches

Grape Harvesting!

Natzweiler-Struthof Concentration camp

Mont Saint Odilia Monastery




No comments:

Post a Comment